About Me

Douglasville, Georgia, United States
I've been battling my PCOS diagnosis for nearly a year now and I'm on my way to living a healthy, productive life. With God by my side, a little education, and a lot of discipline ... life is good. I'm married and expecting our first child! If you're looking for advice on drug therapies and quick fixes, you're in the wrong place. Here, I am taking a diet based approach to PCOS and doing great. But I won't lie, it's a bumpy road and there are backslides. I'm still learning and the journey is far from over. But we take it one day at a time ... and always look to God for guidance in our times of need. :D

Monday, April 9, 2012

Being a Little Selfish

It has been 6.5 months since starting this journey with PCOS and I am asked from time to time how life is different now.

Most people are reffering to my weight loss when they ask that question. They want to know how I feel or if I have more confidence since losing a great deal of weight. The weight loss has certainly made life easier ... and I'm not shocked when I pass mirrors anymore, at least not in a bad way. But the weight loss is only part of the change.

It feels like my life has been changed in almost a fundamental way. I am still me ... I am still a nice person, I still think about others and their feelings, I still believe in Jesus and the hereafter, I still love my husband, and I still think that how I treat others will come back to me 10 fold. I am still me! ..... What has changed is my relationship with myself.

...


You can't take care of others until you first take care of yourself. .... That realization is essentially how my life has changed.

If I focus on other people without putting myself into the equation .... well ... that's how people become unhealthy. Being healthy takes a lot of time, a lot of effort, and a lot of money. Three things that when focused on others can do a lot of good .... but unfortunately it means you are neglecting yourself and you can't keep up all of that goodwill for long when your health is fading. Pretty soon ... you're going to need a lot of people focusing all of their attention on you and making you better.

Being unhealthy makes you fatigued, sluggish, sickly, and unmotivated. But being healthy gives you tons of energy, drive, and of course ... you are more likely to live longer.

Being a little selfish doesn't seem so selfish anymore does it?

...

Now that I've added a little "selfishness" into my life, I have to say, I've become a better wife, a better employee, and generally, a better person. I'm able to contribute more than ever before, even though more of my resources are focused on myself.
Before this change, my life was hard to manage and had frequent breakdowns ... hey, 7 day work weeks with no weekends can really drain a healthy person, let alone an unhealthy one. My hormones being out of whack made every day a challenge. But now, I do the same schedule, the same grind ... but it isn't difficult anymore. I do it without batting an eye now.

Yes, life has changed in many, many ways. .... And I'm enjoying every turn this life is throwing at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment