About Me

Douglasville, Georgia, United States
I've been battling my PCOS diagnosis for nearly a year now and I'm on my way to living a healthy, productive life. With God by my side, a little education, and a lot of discipline ... life is good. I'm married and expecting our first child! If you're looking for advice on drug therapies and quick fixes, you're in the wrong place. Here, I am taking a diet based approach to PCOS and doing great. But I won't lie, it's a bumpy road and there are backslides. I'm still learning and the journey is far from over. But we take it one day at a time ... and always look to God for guidance in our times of need. :D

Monday, May 7, 2012

PCOS RECIPE: Fried Green Tomatoes

Since tomatoes are coming into season, one of my favorite dishes as a southern gal is FRIED GREEN TOMATOES. I used to get green tomatoes from the supermarket and coat them in milk and flour and fry them in vegetable oil. I know now, milk should be avoided, flour is BAD and veggie oil is full of bad fats ...  Now, this isn't exactly a "healthy" dish, but balance is everything, and what is a southern girl without some fried comforts?? 



This is the first opportunity since my journey began with PCOS to experiment with this dish to make it more friendly for my condition. I tried it a few different ways, but here is the best one:


FRIED GREEN TOMATOES:

Ingredients:
  • 1 - 2 Organic Green Tomato(es) (from a local stand, they have more flavor)
  • 1 Organic, free range egg
  • Organic Corn Starch
  • Bob's Red Mill Brown Rice Flour
  • Canola Oil (organic if you can find it [I did at Publix])

Chill the tomatoes for a few hours if you can, it makes them easier to slice without "squishing" them. The best way to slice is to use a mandolin slicer, but slice them as thinly as you can if you don't have one. Sometimes, having thick and thin slices produces better results anyway. 

Dip the sliced tomato in the egg and coat in a brown rice flour and corn starch mixture. About 70% brown rice flour and 30% corn starch. 

Heat canola oil in a skillet about 1/2" deep on high and put a small piece of tomato in the grease. When the tomato begins to bubble, put the rest of the slices into the grease and fry until slightly golden brown. 

Here's the kicker: NO SPECIAL SAUCE for a truly PCOS friendly meal! Eat without condiment or with a reduced sugar ketchup. YUMMY 

No comments:

Post a Comment