About Me

Douglasville, Georgia, United States
I've been battling my PCOS diagnosis for nearly a year now and I'm on my way to living a healthy, productive life. With God by my side, a little education, and a lot of discipline ... life is good. I'm married and expecting our first child! If you're looking for advice on drug therapies and quick fixes, you're in the wrong place. Here, I am taking a diet based approach to PCOS and doing great. But I won't lie, it's a bumpy road and there are backslides. I'm still learning and the journey is far from over. But we take it one day at a time ... and always look to God for guidance in our times of need. :D

Saturday, March 10, 2012

EAT ORGANIC and manage PCOS!


I've been struggling lately with the milk delima because so many sites say that ladies with PCOS shouldn't eat dairy products. Why??
 
I have been researching the question for about a week and the results startled me and made me realize exactly why dairy is so dangerous for me ... :(
 
The bottom line to my research is that milk, cheese, and butter contain an alarming amount of hormones in them. I've heard that all my life but until this week, never made the connection. My dad always said that the reason I had big breasts was because he always fed me lots of milk and chicken. That essentially, hormones make women mature faster, hit puberty faster, and they make us bigger ( . ) ( . )    .... lol.
 
Those hormones may make our girlies bigger, but they may also do a lot of harm. ( Girls hitting puberty at 9 can't be a good thing.) And when it comes to those of us with PCOS, we already struggle everyday to maintain our hormone levels .... so why would we drink something that makes that challenge even greater??
 
Milk, Cheese, and butter contain DHT and progesterone among other hormones. DHT contributes to our hair loss and progesterone promotes infertility. Think about it ... any of us that are familiar with birth control knows that the most active hormone in those medications is progesterone! I have been fighting the hair loss for a long time now and more recently infertility and it kills me to know that I have been drinking something that is thwarting my efforts.
 
But I also came across some interesting literature that organic milk, cheese, and butter don't contain hormone levels as high as the regular dairy products we buy. Many of the PCOSers out there have shunned dairy completely, switching to almond butter and soy milk. But I LOVE butter and milk. Soy milk just isn't the same ... and on top of that ... there is also research that shows the dangers of eating soy. What is a PCOS Gal to do???That's why I am releived that I don't have to give up my favorties ... I just have to fork out my checkbook and pay through the nose for organic dairy. Now ... I am still not going to buy organic cheese. The way my husband chows down on cheese ... we'd go broke ... But I am planning to use it consiously and more sparingly than before. So no more mac-n-cheese for me, just a little garnish for my tacos. When I get a hankering for milk, I will reach for the organic and since my diet now calls for such limited amounts of butter, the organic brands won't hurt my feelings.
 
I'm not done researching meats though. I know that there are hormones present in cattle and chickens to make them grow bigger faster, which I suspect also affects my hormone levels ... but more research is needed.
However, one thing is certain, organic, at least in meat and dairy, is safer for those of us in the world who have a hormone inballance. Lesson learned ... it's time for another change in my life and diet ... but I don't think that this change will be a huge bump on my journey ... though my wallet may not agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment