About Me

Douglasville, Georgia, United States
I've been battling my PCOS diagnosis for nearly a year now and I'm on my way to living a healthy, productive life. With God by my side, a little education, and a lot of discipline ... life is good. I'm married and expecting our first child! If you're looking for advice on drug therapies and quick fixes, you're in the wrong place. Here, I am taking a diet based approach to PCOS and doing great. But I won't lie, it's a bumpy road and there are backslides. I'm still learning and the journey is far from over. But we take it one day at a time ... and always look to God for guidance in our times of need. :D

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Falling off the Wagon!

Well, I've hit plateaus a few times since starting this journey, and it appears that I've hit another. :(

A few posts ago I announced that I had reached a milestone of a 42 pound loss. ... since then, I've put back on 3 pounds. ... Now I'm back to the weight that I've been hovering around for about two months. [sigh]

We have to expect that plateaus will happen naturally no matter what you do and you can't expect to lose weight every week. ... But of course we are all human and it is natural for us to creep back into old habits ... it really is a test of discipline and a test of will power to stay on track. 

The diet itself isn't difficult ... the food is amazing and I haven't had food this full of flavor and variety in my entire life. ... The difficult part of this journey are the habits of old. 

I spent 25 years of my life snacking on junk food and gorging on rolls at dinner time. Twenty five years of skipping breakfasts and eating pizza three times a week. Twenty five years of bagged lunches with Debbie Cakes, personal bags of chips, white bread sandwiches, and candy. 

All of that training won't melt away because of a diagnosis or a commitment to a new way of life. Those habits will creep back in and turn their ugly heads from time to time. 

Now, those easy switches I haven't gone back on. I haven't had white bread, Debbie Cakes, or candy since the diagnosis. ... but the other things have made an entrance from here and there, and I have to admit it to myself, these habits is the main reason why I've hit a plateau lately. I have the tendency to forget that while I may have some things in extreme moderation .... my brain starts to think that I can have them after all ... and over indulge. I've eaten whole grain Cheeze-Its, organic blue corn chips, and brown rice to excess. I'm not gaining weight or going completely off the wagon, but I am going off track. This week, I even convinced myself that I could indulge in a slice of carrot cake because I've been a "good girl" on my diet. 

This is the bottom line .. we aren't accountable to anyone but ourselves! Because of that, we have to realize that having that extra cracker or having that slice of cake is a very real thing that affects us and our diet. Forget carb budges for a moment and all of that ... when we eat that cracker, we are telling our bodies that they aren't worth the sacrifice, that our bodies aren't worth the care and effort we have committed to giving them. 

In the end, nothing tastes as good as feeling good feels ... isn't that what this journey is all about?

Today, I am making a commitment to staying on track. I know that I will falter now and again, and I won't ever truly be rid of those old bad habits, but if I stay mindful to their existence and have the will power to control them, I will succeed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment